Sunday, July 9, 2006

"Blah, Blah, Blah..."

I just had an amazing night with my Perpetualite friends. I've been hanging out a lot lately with my "UP friends" and "Ateneo friends" (to identify those people I went to school with), and I've been missing out on the latest chismis about my "UPH-DJGTMU" (Whew! Naubusan ako ng hininga dun, ah!) friends. These are the people I work with. The Perpetualites. But more than being just that, they are among the most fun to have around. And when I say "fun," I don't mean the "get-drunk-and-stoned-till-you-puke-your-way-home" kinda fun. All my friends and I don't go for that. We're the "sanitized fun" kinda people. Badminton (or endless teasing over who bowls like a granny - Donna! Haha!), good dinner, great conversation, capped by even more catching up over coffee at Starbucks. Despite text messaging, nothing really ever beats actual good company, especially when the people you hang out with are crazier than the inmates in Mandaluyong. Haha! But tonight was really fun (by my definition). Oh, and we saw Paolo Bediones (with an unidentified female) and Chase Tinio (also with an unidentified female) separately in Friday's. Wala lang. If it weren't for the awkward turning of the heads that greeted them when they walked in, you wouldn't have been able to know they're "celebrities" (my sister said "Chase who?"). Mas maputi pa daw si Sir Mark kesa kay Paolo. Of course, my friends are also notorious for their hyperboles. Hehe! Sa uulitin, guys! And let's do it in August... for Fafi Cito's 29th. Libre daw niya!

I don't get it. Caffeine sometimes doesn't work on me anymore. I'd down a venti non-fat cafe mocha, no whipped cream, no chocolate syrup, with sugar-free vanilla, and I'd still feel like I've only had 30 minutes of sleep. This happens when I've to give a lecture at 7am. But tonight, I only had a tall... (please don't make me repeat that order!), and I'm still very much "alive, alert, awake, enthusiastic." Anyway, I went straight to blogthings.com and ran across this thing. I decided to try it out. I remember the Johari window we had back in college. It's an exercise on self-awareness. Anyone who's studying to be in the health profession, or who is working in that field, I'm sure, knows about it. Apparently what a person knows about himself is only a fraction of who he really is. There are four "squares" in the window, and each represents one of the following: what he clearly knows about himself that others absolutely don't know, what he and other people know about himself, what others know about him that he may not be aware of, and what both he and other people don't know. I know it's kinda confusing, but that's what's fascinating about psychology. The human psyche is such a convoluted territory only a select few dare to explore. Anyway, this blogthing "thing" claims to be capable of telling what a person is like based on his birthdate... of course it's all in the spirit of fun. And this is who I'm supposed to be:

Your Birthdate: April 22

You tend to be understated and under appreciated.
You have a hidden force to do amazing things, doing them your own way.
People may see you as strange and shy, but they know little.
Your unconventional ways have more power than they (and even you) know.

Your strength: Standing up for what you know is true

Your weakness: You tend to be picky and rigid

Your power color: Silver

Your power symbol: Square

Your power month: April

Lemme just dissect this:

You tend to be understated and under appreciated.
I beg to differ. What I do know is that I may, occasionally, give off an "understated" aura (whatever that means) but I would like to think that I've been the recipient of a healthy dose of appreciation. My folks did a good job at ego-boosting when I was a kid, I suppose. Haha!

You have a hidden force to do amazing things, doing them your own way.
If there's one thing about me that I'm quite certain of (this falls within the first square of the Johari window), it's that I'm not much of a maverick. I follow convention. I might not get fazed by unexpected twists coz I always have a back-up plan for everything, but I would like to always stay within the bounds of reason and norm. Simply put, when I work on my coloring book, I always stay inside the lines. That's the obsessive-compulsive in me.

People may see you as strange and shy, but they know little. Your unconventional ways have more power than they (and even you) know.
Shy? You gotta be kidding me! "Shy" would be the last word people would use to describe me. I might be reserved, but "shy?" Uh, I dunno...

Your strength: Standing up for what you know is true
Your weakness: You tend to be picky and rigid
Well, at least, they got this one right. Haha!

I know nothing about power color or power symbol. But silver ain't my favorite color. And square? I guess my friends sometimes think of me as pretty "square." Yun kaya yung ibig sabihin ng power symbol?

Naku! At least half of my birthdate interpretations don't agree with how I see myself. Mom, am I adopted? Hehe!

No comments: