Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Super Ferry... Talagang Trip Kita

NOTE: I love my O2 atom... Being away from my laptop is something I can't bear. Ever. But having my atom with me is like having a security blanket. And in the next few journal entries, I'll be posting entries in my atom which I wrote while I was on my 6-day Holy Week adventure with friends. Thank God for small favors. :)

Toiletries... Check!
Wet ones, tissues... Check and check!
Undies... Check!
Sunblock... Check!
Charger... Check!
Flipflops... Check!
Aquashoes... Check!
Boardshorts, shirts, trunks... Check, check and EWWWW!

Guimaras, Bora and Mindoro, HERE WE COME!

It's been a while since I last frolicked under the sun, and, after days of careful deliberation and endless squabbles with Donna, Fe and Fafi Cito on where we're gonna spend our summer break, we decided on joining our other friends on an island hopping adventure that would take us all the way to Iloilo, Guimaras, Capiz, Aklan, Bora and Mindoro. Sagada always was on top of our list, except that Donna pretty much was chicken about the whole "Pag nadulas ka, patay! Pag nakabitaw ka, patay!" thing, that, serious as we were about enduring the 14-hour (total) road trip from Manila to Sagada just to get a whiff of that oh-so-precious fresh mountain air (my sixth, Cito's second, Donna and Fe's first), we decided to save Sagada for some other time when the people we'd be going with would be more "game" about it. I'm quite sure that Fe, cowgirl as she is, would be as game as ever. But Donna might be the proverbial "fly in the ointment." So instead of the mountains, we'd be turning 180-degrees and head instead for the beach! Bora has always been a favorite place of mine. Save for 2003 and 2004, I've spent most of my yearly summer getaway on that paradise island which has evolved from an idyllic to a party place. But it has never lost its charm...

I was very excited about going to Guimaras. Before this, I've never set foot on that island. Most of what I know about Guimaras I saw on the news after that infamous oil spill. But Sir Larry and DJ swore that the spill has been cleaned up, and the island's back to its full glory. And we'd be going there via Super Ferry! A ship. On water! Yikes! I'm scared of being on open sea. I dunno where this virtual hydrophobia came from. It's not so much water that makes me shake in my socks (I don't wear boots), but the thought of not seeing land for miles... I don't remember ever having a bad experience in the water, but my idea of traveling would be jumping in a car, or checking in an airport and boarding an airbus to Cebu, Kalibo or wherever. This would be my first "boat" trip, and this morning, I was excited and anxious at the same time. But being with friends kinda dampened the anxiety and after checking in at the South Harbor (which, I must say, didn't disappoint me... I mean, it looked, well, "acceptable"), we had fun while waiting for when we could board the ship.

Super Ferry looked like an average 3-star hotel inside. And the trip wasn't bad at all. In fact, I'd go as far as saying I actually had fun! Of course, most of it was because of the people I was with. A bunch of real wackos! Haha! And we made a new friend. Stephen, whom everyone mistook for a Chinese national, except that he actually spoke better Tagalog than I do! And I slept like a log until the wake-up call the following morning...

This afternoon, we were on the ship's bow, enjoying the sea breeze (more like a sea "hurricane," what with the wind-blown hair we all sported when we went inside) and took snap shots of the sunset over some island (ano nga uli yun, DJ?)... Nature's so wonderful and awesome. I can't wait to get to Guimaras...


No comments: